Counseling and Guidance
The LEA should offer counseling and assessment activities in a non-discriminatory manner,ensure that counseling and assessment materials are accessible to all students, and address disproportionate enrollments in CTE courses and programs. Importantly, counselors also play a central role in supporting strong, equity-focused CTE programs.
What documentation can be used to indicate compliance with counseling standards?
- Guidance plan, policy, and procedure
- Assessment plan with a list of tests administered
- Written procedures for evaluation and placement of students with disabilities
- Promotional and recruitment materials
- Enrollment demographics
- Recruitment and admission policies
- Policy regarding services for Limited English Proficiency (LEP) students
- Calendar of counseling and pre-vocational activities
- Admission criteria
- Enrollment forms
- Enrollment demographics by class/program
- Examples of pre-enrollment counseling
- Examples of revised counseling materials or activities in response to disproportionate enrollments
- Interest and ability assessments
What elements could be included in a nondiscriminatory counseling program?
- Inform students and parents of their protections under the civil rights laws.
- Analyze course enrollment data to identify disproportionate enrollment of minority, women, and students with a disability.
- Identify discriminatory practices in existing guidance/counseling program policies and procedures.
- Establish goals, objectives, and action steps in community college district guidance plans in response to identified career needs of minority, women, and students with a disability.
- Implement an ongoing career guidance program to meet students’ needs.
- Ensure effective communication with LEP students and students with disabilities.
- Provide support through counseling and consultation with teachers, peers, parents, and students.
- Assist students in such activities as resume writing, job interviewing, decision making, financial aid applications, educational/career planning, and workplace acculturation.
- Review guidance materials for stereotypes.
- Identify female role models as well as role models from minority and from persons with disabilities where they are traditionally underrepresented.
- Coordinate counseling activities with other community college and community resources and agencies serving special population groups.
- Support the establishment of an equity advisory council to obtain assistance in implementing non-discriminatory counseling services.
The Guidance Counselor’s Role in Ensuring Equal Educational Opportunity
American Counselor’s Association Code of Ethics